Geri
Community Tutor
In the beginning of the counting of the years? When I'm talking about historical events, around the years 1-130 ac, I need an expression which means "during the beginning of the counting of the years" or "the first 130 years of the beginning of the counting of the years". Of course I can say "around the years 1-130 ac" or "during the beginning of the first millennium", but I need an alternative with a more wide context.
It's 'AD', not 'ac'. BC is before Christ, AD stands for 'anno domini' or the year Christ was born. You could say 'in/within/during the first century AD' if the time period is within the first 100 years. 'in/within/during the 2nd century AD' if the time period is that specific 2nd century. Or 'in/within/during the first 2 centuries AD' for the time period within the first 200 years. For something more explicit like 'the first 130 years', you could just say 'in/during/within the first 130 years AD'.
Thanks David.
You can say "The Christian era" to refer to all of the years A.D. But as Greg notes, it's not common to do so now. Google ngrams shows the term dropping in use during the period 1830-1880.
Geri
Arabic (Levantine), English, Hebrew, Spanish
Arabic (Levantine), English, Spanish