Anna
Did I use the word "try" correctly in these sentences? - You should try eating pizza. It's very tasty! - I was trying to eat pizza, but I don't like it. There are too many different ingredients in it. - I'm afraid of dogs. I can't pass by them! - Don't be afraid! Just try and go ahead. They are not going to bit you.
2019년 9월 28일 오전 7:36
You should try pizza. I tried pizza but/and I didn’t like it. I tried pizza but/and I don’t like it. I’m afraid of dogs. I can’t go near them. Don’t be afraid! Just try to walk past them. They aren’t going to bite you.
2019년 9월 28일
Here are my suggestions... - You should try eating pizza. It's very tasty! - I tried eating pizza, but I didn't like it. There are too many different ingredients in it. - I'm afraid of dogs. I can't pass by them! - Don't be afraid! Just try and go ahead. They are not going to bite you.
2019년 9월 28일
If you use "try" to mean "taste food so see if you like it" then just use "try [food/drink]". As in DavidK's suggestion. "I tried eating pizza" means you did this as an experiment, to find a solution. Perhaps you had an upset stomach, and someone suggested eating pizza to cure it. "I tried to eat pizza" means an attempt... usually a failed attempt. You tried to eat pizza, but it was too hot. You tried to eat pizza, but you missed your mouth and put it in your ear. DavidK's suggestion about the dogs is more natural, though I understand that you probably found the "try and [verb]" pattern in a textbook.
2019년 9월 28일
Anna
English, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian
English, Polish