Michael
What is the difference or nuance between 보통 and 보통 때? Could you please explain the difference in meaning or nuance and also provide me an example of when I should use each one? Thanks in advance.
보통 has multiple meanings. It can be a noun and the meaning as a noun is 'Being very common or average, usual'. 보통 is also an adverb and the meaning as an adverb is 'usually'. '보통 때' is a phrase of two different nouns ( 보통 + 때 ) and it always needs markers such as 는, 에는, 와 in a sentence. e.g. ) 보통 때와 다른 반찬 cf) 저는 성적이 보통이에요. (noun) : meaning = average 저는 보통 7시에 일어나요. (adverb): meaning = usually Hope it helps and please follow me at koreanclass.canada on Instagram!
I don't think there's any meaningful difference in between those when '보통' is used as refering to time. It's kind of some habits of people I guess. Sometimes they often add "때" for the rhythm and rhyme, is all.
Michael
Korean