XiaoDeng
build upon ....to help teachers design their educational strategies to build upon correct ideas. (The whole passage has mentioned the misconceptions that students have about some very basic scientific conceptions.) To help teachers design their educational strategies upon correct ideas or what? What does 'to build upon something' mean exactly? (To develop further is what I've got, but I still can't understand this phrasal verb.) Could you please offer some more examples of it?
"....to help teachers design their educational strategies to build upon correct ideas." When you 'build upon' something you are adding something extra. It is like when you commence to build a house. You put in the foundations of the house (concrete slab, perhaps), then you 'build upon' or ADD to that base .... building the framework or the rest of that house. You can also use this idea of 'building upon' or 'adding', to abstract ideas (plans, strategies, for example). I create the beginning of this plan/strategy and then I ADD to it ('build upon it') by developing or expanding the plan further with additional ideas or strategies.
Yes, it's written by a native speaker. By the way, the whole sentence is too long, so I just take this part out.
That doesn't sound very natural to me. Was it written by a native speaker? It's an odd juxtaposition of complex "educational strategies" and awkward and basic "correct ideas" vocab.
XiaoDeng
Chinese (Other), English