emar
Endeavour and strive to pass this test Could I say to students ; Remember you must endevour/ strive to be able to pass the test at the end of the year Thank you
Yes. But “endeavor/endeavour” (note different spelling depending on BrEng or AmEng) and “strive” are both a little bit formal. It would be more casual to say “Remember you must work hard to . . .”
I agree with John. Another way to say it is to take out the "must" and say something like "Remember, you will have to work hard to...". It's slightly less formal than John's but still very appropriate.
The objective isn't the best. You should strive to pass your end-of-the-year exam. (Good. not to be able to pass it) You should endeavor to pass the TOEFL this year. (Good, though formal. You haven't started working on it. You should start.)
In American English I would say neither "endeavor" nor "strive" if you are referring to "pass the test at the end of the year". I would probably say "work diligently in order to pass the test at the end of the year." "endeavor" suggests a new undertaking "strive" is about working with great effort over a period of time so it seems right, but it would be more common to say "to strive for perfection" . So use "strive for " followed by an abstract noun. That's why "strive to pass" does not sound natural in English. Greetings! Teacher Charles--https://www.italki.com/teacher/5853252
emar