mmloo
articles contractés devant le nom de famille Hi, I am learning French and I know the rules of "articles contractés", but I recently came across a text about the architect Le Corbusier in which the author wrote 'l'oeuvre de Le Corbusier". Is it correct or can we write l'oeuvre du Corbusier. If both works, which one is better. Thanks in adavance.
okay, merci beaucoup. coridalement :)
About "la vie de de Gaulle" : this sounds clumsy, you are right. French-speaking people will say instead : "la vie de Charles de Gaulle", or "la vie du général de G".
Thank you for your answer: } Do you think that we should avoid these kind of expression, like "la vie de de Gaulle"? It seems that I have never seen these.
Hi, "L'oeuvre DU Corbusier" is not correct because "Le Corbusier" is the name of the architect, this "LE" is not a article. It is like "l'oeuvre de SARTRE" = "l'oeuvre de LE CORBUSIER" Bye!
mmloo
English, French, German
French, German