Seul
demand that S V Hi, 1. They demand that the government protect the weak. 2. They demand that the government must protect the weak. Do you think sentence 1 is awkward? If so, could you let me know why? Ty.
The first sentence is fine. For wishes, requests, and demands, we use the subjunctive mood, which is why we say "I demand that the government PROTECT the weak" (not "protects"). Some more examples of the subjunctive: "The office requested that he CALL back tomorrow." "I wish we WERE ABLE to help you." "They recommended that she PRACTICE every day."
Both structures can be used. Sentence 2 is a bit stronger in its meaning. Government is singular so you would say protects in sentence 1
"They demand that the government protect the weak." is correct. If your talking about a demand, you don't need extra words like "must", "should", "have/has to". I hope it helps!
Gray is correct.
The second one sounds very redundant to me. Gray has the first one spot on.
Seul