Raissa Wasilisa
我都在这儿坐了半个小时了 Hello, Italki users! Does 都 mean 'in total' here? 谢谢你们!
Hey Raissa, No, not really. If pushed to translate it, I would say it means 「已經」 (already), but really it’s used for emphasis to make the duration sound longer. I’d translate the entire sentence as “I’ve been sitting here for half an hour (already)”. The tone of this sentence makes the speaker sound irritated and like they’ve been waiting for ages. Laurence
It means "already" in this context. Same as "已经" and they are interchangeable in this sentence.
Here it just expresses irritation, no need to translate it directly as a meaningful word.
It means already 已经 in your sentence , I‘ve been sitting here for half an hour. “都 ”is a time adverbs here, which been placed before time expression. 我都在这儿坐了半个小时(time expression)了。 I have an easy way to identify when is 都 been use as time adverbs, you can add or replace ” already”已经 in the sentence, if it make sence, then it is a time adverbs. eg: 我都(已经)在这儿坐了半个小时(time expression)了。 eg: 他都(已经) 8岁(time expression)了还要妈妈喂饭; eg: 都(已经)8点(time expression)了你怎么还不去学校? eg: 都(已经)11月(time expression)了,气温还是在30度。 Personally, I would recommend do not too struggle with Chinese grammar, as a native Chinese speaker I don't learn many grammars when I was in junior school, I just understand the situation, then next time I remember how to use it.
Raissa Wasilisa
Chinese (Mandarin), Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Russian
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian