simba0722
I was wondering if the word "under the hood" can be appropriate to use for a person. " I can tell that she has good looks but you'd better get under the hood" # in a sense that you'd better take the time to find out what her character is before you marry her. #Please let me know any other expressions that have the same meaning?
It sounds unnatural to me. Maybe in a very casual sense it's possible, but I would avoid it as it can have other meanings not so positive. Some suggestions are: "I can tell that she has good looks but you should get to know her better" " I can tell that she has good looks but you need to know her better" "I can tell that she has good looks but you need to get to know what she's like"
I think the car analogy is ok, but the wording is wrong. It should be “check under the hood” (look at the insides, not just the surface) “get under the hood” could be weirdly misunderstood. “I know she’s gorgeous but check under the hood before you get too carried away.” “I know she’s gorgeous but find out what she’s really like before you get too carried away.” (Conventional)
Thank you.
Yes, this is an appropriate use of "under the hood"
simba0722