Adam
Is the sentence: 'to enkindle the feelings of patriotism in the heart of new generation' correct? I specifically wonder if there should be a singular noun "heart" or "hearts". I have read in a French grammar book that 'French normally uses the singular form of nouns if they refer to something of which we have only one, e.g. la vie (life), la tête (head/face), le cou (neck), for example: Elle leur a sauvé LA VIE. = She saved their lives (so in French it's literally: "She saved their life"). As an extension of this idea, I would imagine that we should apply plural in my sentence as well: "hearts". But, honestly, a singular form "sounds better" to my ear, so I wanted to know how do you, especially native speakers feel about it.
In my opinion, there is a very subtle difference between the two. If you use the singluar: heart, it sounds fine, and you are talking about the new generation as a single entity. If you use the plural: hearts, I then visualise each individual with their own beating heart. Just my take on it.
to enkindle the feelings of patriotism in the heart of THE new generation --> Singular: It makes the 'new generation' sound like they are 1 group or 1 grouping of people that are not individuals. or to enkindle the feelings of patriotism in the hearts of THE new generation --> Plural: it makes the 'new generation' sound like they are 1 group with many individuals. Really there isn't too much of a difference. It comes down to perspective and what idea or concept you are trying to project with the sentence. In both sentences the overall meaning is the same. The only difference is whether you are referring to a group of people vs. a group of individuals within said group. Great question!
Adam
English, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese
English, French, Italian, Portuguese