Kat
spend in/on doing Someone said spend sth. on doing something is not correct, but I found this on a dictionary. now I'm confused, can any native speaker tell me what's the difference between spend on doing and spend in doing? Thank you very much
“To spend (money) on doing something” is absolutely correct (and probably the simplest, most common way to word it). For example, you could spend $10 on getting your car washed.
Both "spending something ON/IN doing something" are correct. Example: "I spent $500 on/in renovating my house". Where I am, the 'on' version is more common and using 'in' sounds very casual. If you drop the 'doing something', then you should use 'on', not 'in'. For example, "I spent $500 on my house". This is implying you spent $500 on doing something (maintenance ?) to your house. This work could be inside or outside. If had used 'in' and said "I spent $500 in my house", the meaning changes as you are implying you only did something within your house - not outside.
Kat
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
English, German