Shaghayegh
a /one / the most beautiful girl..which? i went to this ielts class and teacher told me its correct to say "a most beautiful girl" while i have never heard so, he insisted its correct..i know one most beautiful girl and the most beautiful girl is correct but "a most.."?can someone who is 100% sure ,and probably familiar with ielts, tell me the answer?is it correct to say a most beautiful girl?
This is correct but literary.
Normally we say “the most beautiful girl” — the superlative. In literary usage, we can write “a most beautiful girl”, but it is not a superlative — it just means “a very beautiful girl”.
thank you very much cyd and jonathan i got my answer🙏
Yes, it can be used in a literary way, to create an elegant phrase. Here is an example: "As I was walking through the centre of Milan, I spotted a most beautiful girl" Maybe she is not THE most beautiful, but she is certainly among the beautiful! I am 100% sure ;)
i still dont have my answer..ik using "the" is pretty much correct but is it correct to say for example " a highest mountain" or " a deepest occean"???
Shaghayegh
English, German, Japanese, Korean, Persian (Farsi)
English, German