Gabriel
In the phrase "Ich frage mal..." What exactly does "mal" mean?
This is a modal particle. These words change the atmosphere of a sentence and are often difficult to translate. mal (colloquial short form of "einmal") * Implication that one can not do something (at the moment), for example, in "Kannst du das mal machen?" ("I just do not have a hand free or time to do it myself.") * Implication of an omission of the person spoken to, for example, in "Machst du das endlich mal?" ("How long do I have to wait?"). The person is impatient and emphazises this with the word 'mal'. Depending on the context the meaning can slightly vary. Ich frag mal - I will ask him (e.g. right away). As I said, it depends on the context.
It does not have a "real" meaning but can refer to either time: I will ask him right away OR I will ask him next chance I got. Or it can also be interpreted as: Let's see if ... knows anything/the answer
Gabriel
English, Filipino (Tagalog), French, Japanese
Japanese