Creature from Mars
John, please translate this text into English. / John, please interpret this text into English. Dear Teachers, Let's say, there are 3 different situations: 1. We have a text in German and want another person to turn it into English in written form . And we are addressing to that person. Should we say: 'John, please translate this text into English.' 2. The same text and people but we need an oral translation. Should we say: 'John, please interpret this text into English.' 3. There are 3 people in the room. Ann (German), Pam (English) and Jim (English and also speaks German well). Pam is sending Jim to help Ann during a business talk. Does the sentence go like this: Pam: Jim would you please go together with Ann and interpret for her during the talk? 4. Is there any universal form, no matter for written or oral translation, that can be used in any case? Thank you!
Oct 25, 2019 3:30 AM
Answers · 5
1. Yes, this sentence is correct. 2. If you are using "interpret" as a verb, you say "in" not "into." You translate something in written form into another language, but you interpret something that is said in a language. Not "into". So the sentence should read, "John, please interpret this text in English." 3. Yes, this sentence is correct. 4. As I mentioned -- translate uses "into" -- it implies a change from one language in written form to another. Interpret uses "in" -- you are understanding in one language and speaking in another.
October 25, 2019
1. Yes, it is correct 2. We would say 'translate into'. 'Interpret' is from speech to speech ONLY. 3. Perfectly fine. 4. 'Translate' is the universal form. Speech or written text.' Please translate for Anna. Please translate this text. '
October 25, 2019
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Creature from Mars
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian
Learning Language