Mahdy
у нас не овощной магазин. This is a phrase I found in a story. A guy goes into a store and asks if they sell fruits, and this is how the shopkeeper answers. Why doesn't he say: "мы не овощной магазин" ? is it wrong? This sentence means more like "we don't have..." or "near us isn't..." ... but does it mean "we are not..." ?
Mehdy, try to understand it as: "what we have here is not a vegetable store". If he said "WE are not a store" it wouldn't be much better, because "we" refers to people.
Thank you both! I wish you added this as answers :D ... I can't choose a comment as the best answer
In Russian "у нас" ="we have" therefore, the phrase "у нас не овощной магазин" can be interpreted as "We don't have a vegetable store here". You're right that "у нас" is connectrd with "near us". It is one of the reflections of our culture in language. We never speak as English-speaking people - "I have a friend" and always "У меня ест друг" (meaning - next to me there is a friend). It's not our common practice to brag about what you have. Therefore, they try to replace a phrase я имею (here the emphasis on the word имею) on "у меня". In Russian, too, you can say я имею = I have, but this phrase is almost always applied to some inanimate objects (house, car and so on). In the phrase "у меня", "у нас" are more universal and often used. And your phrase is constructed in this way
I don't have an answer for you, maybe someone else knows =) Can only help you with examples. We use this phrase often, with a meaning similar to здесь. У нас(=здесь) не курят, не матерятся, не толкаются etc. When you ask a lot of questions, you can hear У нас(=здесь) не справочная(справочное бюро)! У нас(=здесь) не ходят в обуви, одень тапочки! Good luck with language learning!
Mahdy
Arabic (Modern Standard), English, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Turkish
Russian