yujini
*a* peace and cooperation? Still, our goal is not simply to become an economic powerhouse. Rather, we will seek a global community marked by *a* peace and cooperation that prioritizes human beings and upholds the universal values of humanity. - I'm not sure why there's this article "a" before peace and cooperation. Aren't both these nouns uncountable? Should I remove the "a"?
Nov 9, 2019 1:20 AM
It would be correct both with and without the "a." Having the "a" there just makes it sound a little more poetic.
There's quite a simple answer to this (and it's nothing to do with poetry!). Look at the grammar of what comes next : "a peace and cooperation that prioritizes human beings and upholds the universal values of humanity" is one long noun phrase, including a restrictive relative clause. Anything defined by a restrictive relative clause is specific. So, this is not 'peace and cooperation' in abstract terms: it's a (particular kind of) peace and cooperation that does a particular thing. I hope that makes sense.
yujini