mayllt
what does "DA"here mean? It was after lunch that a customer came. She came over and took one of my stage-struck seals, and said “How much is this?” I opened my mouth and the customer said “I have a D. A. and I will have this sent to my aunt in Ohio. Part of that D. A. I will pay for with a book dividend of 32 cents, and the rest of course will be on my account. Is this book price-fixed?” That’s as near as I can remember what she said.
so it means "coupon"? thank you so much
It's from the short story "My Life with R. H. Macy" by Shirley Jackson.
More context is needed. Where is the text from? D.A. could be jargon from the 1940s when rationing and fixed prices were common in the U.S. A special coupon was needed to buy rationed items and at the time a hardback book cost 50 cents ($0.50), whereas today a hardback book costs about $20.00.
It doesn't matter what it means. It is part of the cryptic and confusing language of retail sales at a department store at the time the story takes place.
mayllt