Drinking and purchases In Russia there is a tradition to drink after a new purchase to celebrate it. We call it "обмывать покупку". Is there anything like this in US or UK? If yes, then how do you call it?
Nov 17, 2019 1:59 PM
Answers · 2
In the US the drink most associated with celebrating is champagne. People drink champagne to celebrate major accomplishments like buying a house, getting a promotion at work, finishing a degree, etc.
November 17, 2019
I live in Australia, but as far as I know there is no tradition like this in the US or the UK. We do have an expression though, and it goes "I'll drink to that." We say it when we heavily agree with someone or want to celebrate a decision that has been made (which could include purchases). For example, someone might say "thank God it's Friday," to which someone else could reply "I'll drink to that." Or someone might say "I need new clothes," to which someone may reply "I'll drink to that" in agreeance. Hope that helps! :-)
November 17, 2019
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, Russian
Learning Language