Check out our updated Community
Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
Should "media" be pural in this sentence? ""Don't forget to check out of my social media..." "Don't forget to check out all of my social media. I've got my facebook, I've got my Instagram and I've got my Twitter." Source: https://youtu.be/LYO3_pRbuLg?t=710 Edited to fix a typo. Cat pointed it out.
Hi Ootred, Media is actually plural already so there's no need to change it. One thing to note, it's 'check out' not 'check out of'. Check out means to look at our explore something. 'Check out of' can mean you're leaving something, for example you check out of a hotel. For the last sentence, it's too repetitive. I would just write 'I've got Facebook, Instagram and Twitter''.
That's a new one for me. You do sometimes see Latin phrases used in place of their more commonly known English versions. It looks like the closest common translation is something like "in the midst of things", or "starting in the middle". These Latin (french, etc) phrases are more often than not used to either: - Emphasise a very specific meaning that doesn't translate well. - Try and look clever. - Hold a specific legal definition. - Use a commonly known foreign saying (laissez faire, or et al, for example) They are not used often in conversation, more often you'll find them in journalistic writing. Edit: In this case it seems this is, quite specifically, used as a stage direction in plays, outlining the scene. You quite often get Latin and Italian loan words and phrases in plays and music. Pianissimo, for example.
Have you guys heard about this phrase? "in medias res" "He began his story in medias res." It is strange to me.
Yep, I agree with Jack. Media is the (common) plural form. - We use many forms of media to communicate. - He chose a newspaper as the most appropriate medium in which to publish his work.
Media is the plural form :)
Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese