Kayla Joyner
Present Tense in Shami (Jordanian and Palestinian) 1. Is سبِعمل correct? Can ب be added to a verb that has س attached to it as a prefix? 2. Is س as a prefix something that only exists in MSA or does it exist in shami too? Do Jordanians and Palestinians prefer to use رح to س? 3. Can I say عم أجلس or do I have to add taa marbuta to عم since I'm a girl?
19 أغسطس 2020 05:12
5
0
Welcome Kayla, I am gonna answer your three questions by order: 1) No you can't add a "س" before the "ب" nor can you add a "ب" before a "س" in a present-tense verb or a future-tense one. Still, if this "س" is an original part of the verb, then you can. I.g. "سبح" > "بسبح" to conjugate it from past to present. 2) In fact, for the Levantine Arabic I can't remember that I've heard someone using "سوف" or "س" to talk about the future, unless it comes in a sarcastic language! We rather use "رح" or ,shorter, "ح". And what matches the previous rule matches this one too, I mean you can't add these suffixes with "ب" unless it's a part of the original verb. 3) No you shouldn't add "ـة" with "عم", it works both for males, females and plural nouns. But, mainly, we use "ب" with the verb coming after "عم", so you should have said, "عم بجلس" or "عم باكل". It's ok to say "عم أجلس" or "عم آكل" but the former are more common. P.s. I hope you do not confuse the dialect with MSA, because this is considered annoying, in my opinion, not because you will apparently be known as foreigner, no, but because you may find a small problem to fitting in with people! You may rather focus on MSA now, the dialect will be much more easier then, But not vice versa!!
19 أغسطس 2020
Oh! I see Kayla, there was a misunderstanding! Yes what the site said is true, but my answer depended on your question, you asked about "عم أجلس" which is about yourself "I am sitting down", right? Then it's the same exception the site mentioned! See! You should add "B" after it when you use the "speaker pronoun (I)". Also, regardless of that we don't use it in my city much, but I give you the common sense for the Levantine Arabic, when you speak or learn any Levantine dialect, you will be broadly understood there! You can apply it or leave it, does not matter in fact. It's up to you, in my opinion MSA may be more beneficial for you, still if you learn Levantine Arabic first just to fit in with people and daily life then it's your choice, and you're WELCOME anyway :)) But try not to mix MSA with the dialect you learn anyway! People will like it more when you speak a dialect or the MSA purely :) Good luck! Is it clear now?
22 أغسطس 2020
Kayla Joyner
Arabic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Modern Standard), English, Japanese, American Sign Language (ASL), Spanish
Arabic, Arabic (Levantine)