song english
What is the difference between different positions of an adverb "really" in this sentence? 1.He really may have injured innocent people. 2. He may really have injured innocent people. 3. He may have really injured innocent people. Do they have same meaning? It seems to me they have no difference on their meaning.
3
0
I agree with karuna2000, the change in position changes the emphasis. In sentence 1, "really" directly modifies the modal verb "may", and emphasizes the probability that the event occurred.. In sentence 2, "really" directly modifies the auxiliary verb "have" as the mark of present perfect tense, and emphasizes the fact that the event completed AND is still relevant in the present moment. In sentence 3, "really" directly modifies "injured", and emphasizes the degree to which he injured the innocent people.
Thank teacher karuna2000. It's really not my homework. I just write so for seeking a reason emphasizing how to work out such issue.I am just English amateur without any teacher in China.
It's all about emphasis. It also changes the meaning of the sentence somehow. Do your homework. Alone. Good luck.
song english