Check out our updated Community
soraya
are these sentences are correct? My father is the principal at the school. My mother is a teacher at school. My sister is a student at school. I think that saying the first sentence in this way is better " My father is a principal. He works in a school." or "My father is a school principal." And for two other sentences, I'm not sure about the " at school" part of the sentence. Does it make sense?
While saying any of the sentences with at school in the end is not incorrect, I think we more commonly say a school principal, a school teacher or a student.
1) My father is a school Principal - if you were already speaking about the school, then people would infer he was the principal at that school, and you could omit the school before principal. 2) My mother is a teacher. - Again most people will infer it is a school teacher in America. They may follow up with a question asking. Which school? 3) similar to teacher, just say: My sister is a student. Follow up question will allow you to be more specific for a elementary, high school, college/university and the name of that school.
soraya
English, Persian (Farsi)