Владимир
ON halfway trough Hey there, English native speakers. I have a Brian's Griffin phrase (from the Family Guy cartoon), "You're right. Everything I've ever done, I've crapped out on halfway through. Well, not this time. I am going to finish what I started." Honestly speaking, I know in common what he meant there, but I am still a bit frustrated about the "on" using in the phrase. All dictionaries I use know only "halfway through" expression, but not "ON halfway through". So, could you explain please: a) does the Brian's saying sound correct in English? b) what do you think you exactly mean when you use the "ON halfway through" part, if it wasn't a mistake? Thank you in advance.
7
0
This is an interesting question. In this phrase, you can separate "crapped out on" from "halfway through." The expression "crapped out on" is a little vulgar, but common. It basically means that something or someone stopped working (or trying). For example: My car crapped out on me this morning. (My car stopped working) The internet crapped out on me. (The internet stopped functioning) I hired a plumber to repair my shower, but he crapped out on me in the middle of the day. (The plumber quit / gave up halfway through the project) Надеюсь, мои примеры будут вам полезны. Удачи!
The sentence is correct and natural. The mistake is in the way you're reading it. Look at it this way: [Everything I've ever done] = object [I've crapped out on] = subject and verb phrase [halfway through] = adverb The 'on' has nothing to do with the adverb phrase 'halfway through': it is part of the preceding verb phrase 'crapped out on'. The phrasal verb here is 'crap out on something': the preposition 'on' connects the verb ('crap out') with the object of the verb ('everything I've ever done). Perhaps it would be clearer if you swapped the sentence round: "I've crapped out on everything I've ever done halfway through." "I've crapped out halfway through on everything I've ever done". Those two sentences show the connection between the 'on' and the object. However, they're not as expressive as the original sentence, which puts more emphasis on 'Everything I've ever done' by putting it at the beginning of the sentence. I hope that helps.
Владимир