may
jump in vs jump the gun "jump in" & "jump the gun" have the same meaning: to do something quickly, often without thinking about it carefully. Are they the same and is it okay to use them interchangeably? The examples below are for "jump the gun," but I changed "jump the gun" to "jump in." Is it possible to say like below? - Isn’t it jumping in starting talking about marriage? - I think it would be jumping in signing the agreement at this stage. Thank you!
2
0
No, they don't have the same meaning. The phrasal verb "jump in" has several meanings, but none of them are the same as "jump the gun", which comes directly from athletics/track & field, and means to start running before the gun fires, i.e. do something prematurely. In your two examples, "jump in" is wrong. You have to use "jump the gun" here.
may