Jordi Jorge
Shop for + person (Meaning) I would like to know the meaning of the phrasal verb "to shop for" when the object is a person. Examples: 1. I admit, your mother's difficult to shop for. 2. This woman is impossible to shop for. Are these sentences expressing to buy a person as if they were a thing?
6
1
No the most common use of to shop for someone is to shop for a gift for someone so for example I hate shopping for my mother, she has everything so I never know what to get her.
Hey Jordi ~ it means "to do something for someone." "I plan to clean for her." (do some cleaning for someone) "I'm going to write for her." (do some writing for someone) "They were a pleasure to sing for." (do some singing for some people) "He was fun to work for." (do some work for someone) "There's the lady I bank for." (go to the bank for someone) "They were easy to paint for." (do some painting for some people)
¡Muchas gracias, Carlos!
En español: 1. Admito que comprar algo para tu madre es complicado 2. Es imposible saber qué comprarle a esta mujer In english, the 'shop for' means to know what to buy for that person. Maybe you are looking for a birthday present for 'Julie' and you don't know what to buy her: Julie is a hard person to shop for
Jordi Jorge
English, Italian, Spanish