Check out our updated Community
Alex
How to pronounce new words that I don't know avoid using transcription? Hi, there! I faced with one complex moment during my learning process. I try to understand how to pronounce new words that I don't know avoid using transcription.From my point of view in English so many exceptions that sometimes using simple rules like open-closed syllable becamos more complex. I think that memorizing how to pronounce every word is not a productive way. Am i mistaken? Could anyone give me an advice?
The thing is I mostly communicait with learners like me, except lessons with my teacher. But I try to read a lot and can guess meaning words I don't know from context. And I need to look to a dictionary for the transcription. Although, audiobooks help me a lot in this case.
No worries. Definitely do tell people if you want to be corrected. My sister in law is French, but rarely makes mistakes with her English. She has made it very clear that she wants you to tell her when she does though. People won't normally do it out of fear of looking like a pedant, or "that guy".
Thank you for your answer, Duncan!
English can be a particularly difficult language for this, I think. There are so many exceptions to the rules that it can be a bit of a nightmare. They use phonics to teach children the rules and then spend years explaining all of the exceptions. Lots of listening practise will help a lot. People are also usually quite nice about mispronunciation. If you're ever not sure just ask someone to correct you. Personally, I don't go out of my way to correct the pronunciation of non-native speakers, as long as I understand what they mean. However, if they ask me to tell them I will let them know.
Alex
English, Russian, Spanish