rook
the holidays are right around the bend? To be around the band = does it mean to be about to happen? I also have found one more meaning: to go around the bend = to go crazy. Is it used in modern English?
3
0
"Around the corner" is more common, in my opinion, to refer to an event that is coming up soon.
To be around the bend or more commonly Just around the corner, Just around the bend and Coming around the corner among more but similar variations. In my experience it normally means as soon as a weekend or a couple weeks away, relatively soon but not next day. Normally at least a week away but could be long as month or so. To go around the bend, I have not personally heard. It depends what your implying, to go crazy, there are different sayings meaning to party or to imply a crazy person such as, From the looney bin, or Going to the looney bin meaning they are mentally crazy but normally used in a laughing joking manner. I sincerely hope this helps.
I don't use that expression in the sense of imminent, though I think I have heard people use it in the US that way. I would say: Just around the corner--Christmas is just around the corner. Round the bend can be used as a mild way of saying gone mad or crazy. These kids are driving me round the bend.
rook