Pelin
Is this sentence OK? We gave him a warning penalty for his undisciplined behaviors. And these; You should have seen me when I was young. You should have seen me when I was twenty.
24 de ago de 2020 18:40
3
0
We gave him a warning penalty for his undisciplined behaviors. "a warning penalty " is not clear behaviour is usually collective, not plural. We gave him a warning for his undisciplined behaviour. In sport, a "penalty" can be used in ways similar to "a warning", but not an area of language I am particularly familiar with. "warning" often comes before "penalty", in that a warning is a lesser outcome. He received a warning from us for ... We imposed a penalty on him for ... You should have seen me when I was young. - fine You should have seen me when I was twenty. - fine
24 de Agosto de 2020
The first sentence isn't very clear to me. A warning is usually a verbal or written notice that some has done something wrong, but does not have any actual consequences. Giving someone a penalty would actually have consequences (such as a fine, detention, loss of privileges). So as someone from the US, I would expect someone to either get a warning, or get a penalty. The last two sentences are correct
24 de Agosto de 2020
The above sentence is okay but the chosen words aren’t realistic for everyday use if that makes sense. See below. We’ve given him a warning penalty for his insubordinate/unruly/disruptive behavior. Depending on the context and the behavior displayed. Hope this helps. Good luck.
24 de Agosto de 2020
Pelin
English, Turkish