Check out our updated Community
Yusuke
What does "daunting" mean? How do you use it? Some examples would help me. Thank you in advance.
The verb "daunt" means to make someone feel intimidated. To "daunt" your opponent means to lessen his courage. The word "daunting" is an adjective. You use it to describe a noun. For example "task". A task is a piece of work to be done. If I say "a daunting task" I am describing a piece of work that intimidates me. "I need to finish my French homework by Friday but it's a daunting task." So the word "daunting" really has this feeling of intimidation. You use it to describe things that can overwhelm you and make you quit. However, if I say "he was a dauntless hero", it means he was a hero that cannot be intimidated.
It means "something that seems like it will be difficult." We often say: "That looks like a daunting task." Meaning, the task seems difficult (or intimidating) to do. Or you could say: "The hike up the mountain looked daunting when we arrived, but it was not that bad."
Yusuke