Mehrdad
What is meant by "you’re the sort of person I’d care to have breakfast with" ? “I have a great affection for you, Roy,” I answered, “but I don’t think you’re the sort of person I’d care to have breakfast with. Besides, I’ve already had mine.
25 de ago de 2020 6:56
3
0
Hello Mehrdad! Having breakfast with someone can be quite an intimate thing to do so I think that if someone said: “but I don’t think you’re the sort of person I’d care to have breakfast with" it means that the person being spoken too is not the kind of person that the speaker would want to get too intimate with or get too close too. We have a similar saying that goes like this: "I would not sit at the same table as..." or "I would not sit around the same table with....". There is also another context that could be meant and that is that very often people will have breakfast after spending the night together so the speaker may be saying that she (I am assuming that is is a woman) "likes" Roy but not enough to spend the night and then have breakfast after. And by saying "Besides, I’ve already had mine." the speaker could be saying that she has already eaten or that they have already had their intimacy and they do not want that with Roy - it would be a sarcastic or hurtful way of saying that that they are already involved with someone else. It really depends on the context of the situation. I hope that helps!
25 de Agosto de 2020
Mehrdad
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish