Terry
the program go beyond.... what does 'the program' refer to? Competitive activities can be more than just performance showcases where the best is recognized and the rest are overlooked. The provision of timely, constructive feedback to participants on performance is an asset that some competitions and contests offer. In a sense, all competitions give feedback. For many, this is restricted to information about whether the participant is an award- or prizewinner. The provision of that type of feedback can be interpreted as shifting the emphasis to demonstrating superior performance but not necessarily excellence. The best competitions promote excellence, not just winning or “beating” others. The emphasis on superiority is what we typically see as fostering a detrimental effect of competition. Performance feedback requires that the program go beyond the “win, place, or show” level of feedback. Information about performance can be very helpful, not only to the participant who does not win or place but also to those who do.
2
0
Yes, without further information, "program" is not the best choice here. I'd say "approach" or "method."
I don't think think that they refer to what "the program" is in the text. It may be what the entire article is about, or it may have been mentioned previously. If I had to hazard a guess I would say it is a system (program) that they have put together to help athletes improve. Part of which includes better feedback on their performance, even if they did well. In this case a program is: "A plan or system under which action may be taken toward a goal". From the Merriam-Webster" dictionary.
Terry