rook
Present Simple in sport commentaries The rule says we need to use Pr. Simple to talk about sport commentaries. Is it possible to use Continuous?
6
0
Yes, you can certainly use the present continuous in sports commentaries. This is particularly useful when reporting on slow-moving sports or stages of a sport which are slow and measured. For example, when a golfer is positioning himself to prepare for a shot, you could certainly comment, moment by moment, on what he is doing. Or imagine a ski jumper at the top of the piste, getting herself ready to launch - you could use the present continuous in that context.
I've seen questions similar to this come up a few times. Is it something that is taught to people: "You must never use the continuous to commentate on sports"? If so, it is not good advice. As La Liseuse said it is commonly used. - He's catching up with him now. - She's overtaking her. - He's passing the ball very well.
I'm not sure I understand your question.
rook