Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
What is the difference between these two phrases? "get a sense of sth" and "get an idea of sth"
3
0
These phrases could be interpreted a few ways, but I would say that the difference is this: "To get an idea of something" is to get a basic understanding. You will not be an expert, but the topic will not be a total mystery to you. For example, "To get an idea of how basketball is played." "To get a sense of something" is more about getting a feeling about a situation. For example, "I am going to walk around the factory to get a sense of how the morale of the workers is." or "I visited the war zone, to get a sense of how people are coping." These two phrases sometimes overlap, or are sometimes used interchangeably, but that is my perspective on the difference.
When you say "get a sense of something" i think it means to get to understand something really good, while "get an idea" would mean to just understand the basic information on something
Ootred 秋 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese