Andrea
Community Tutor
Can you perceive a difference in the oral language of these two following sentences? Hi guys, in these two following sentences: they decline to be examined they declined to be examined Can you perceive a difference in the oral language or would they sound to a native speaker exactly the same, especially when speaking fast?
19
0
They sound exactly the same, regardless of whether the speech is fast or slow. It is impossible to make a consonant cluster of a 'd' followed by a 't'. So, unless we make a very long and unnatural pause between the two words, we are forced to combine the two consonants into one. The two merge to become a 't'. NB Don't be tempted to make the typical Italian mistake of inserting a vowel in an attempt to separate the two words ( "declined -ah -to be"). Just drop the 'd', and it'll sound much more natural!
I've been saying them both to myself - I *think* I swallow "declined" and stretch "decline" a tiny, tiny bit. But that bit is so tiny that I might just be imagining it. They're either indistinguishable or virtually indistinguishable in speech. to the other comments - "decline" in this context is a way of being overly formal to emphasize your point. It's using language as a weapon.
These would sound the same in normal speech (at least in American pronunication). The verb tense is understood within the context of the conversation. If the speaker wanted to be clearer, he/she could emphasize/enunciate the 'd'.
Here you guys can find an example of "declined to be examined" from a very famous series, Star Trek, here's the script: http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/Trek/Star_Trek_IX.htm " CRUSHER Captain, the Son'a hostages declined to be examined. I had them confined to quarters."
Sorry, Andrea. I missed your last comment. Yes, it seems La Liseuse agrees with your conditional usage as well. It does look less strange to me when you stick "if" in front.
Andrea
English, French, German, Italian, Romanian, Spanish
French, Romanian