Mac Bull
English question... Hello, Quick English question: Which is more common? to write out numbers or to just use the numerical digits? Example: He is twenty-six years old. or He is 26 years old. Which one is more common? And why? Like under what circumstances? Super Thanks!
5
0
It depends on what the numbers are referring to. For ages, prices and dates, you usually just write the digits. For quantities, it can really be either, but writing the word is slightly more formal. At school, I was taught to write out the word for smaller numbers under 20, and to use digits for larger numbers (so you might say "He has ten apples" or "He has 500 apples". But to be honest, it doesn't really matter except in formal writing.
Thank you Duncan and Teacher Paul for your helpful insights.
I agree with Paul and Christine. It doesn't matter most of the time. Normally I would always write out the lower numbers, definitely less than ten, and use the numerals for higher numbers (no one wants to read out one million two hundred thousand four hundred and twenty three!) It is mostly a stylistic choice. You often find that certain industries, employers, or schools will encourage you to do it a specific way.
For ages, I have only ever seen digits. In highly formal writing, you will see the written version of numbers. This is to avoid ambiguity.
Mac Bull
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Sign Language
Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Sign Language