Alina
Most supporting bands tend to be youngsters, and rarely upstage the star. Upstage has more than on meaning. For example, if you want to take people's attention away from someone and make them listen or look at you instead. In this context, I found a sentence, which I didn't understand: Most supporting bands tend to be youngsters, and rarely upstage the star. Is someone able to explain it to me? My dictionary translated also upstaged for so who is distanced? Can someone give me further examples? And which is the common meaning for upstage?
26 de ago de 2020 11:11
1
0
Most supporting bands are there to support the main band. They wind up the crowd; they get the crowd revved up/enthusiastic/ in the mood. They are, by definition, a support band, and not the most famous of the 2 bands. They are less well known, less famous, and usually less talented, less artistic, etc. So it would be unusual for them to upstage/out-perform the star. They would have to be super-talented, with much better music or acts, rhythm etc to outperform/upstage/out-shine the star, which is the main band.
26 de Agosto de 2020
Alina
English, German