mayllt
what does "after-store"here mean? In a moment they were on a level with the bulwarks, and North Wind sent the hatch of the after-store rattling away over the deck to leeward. The next, Diamond found himself in the dark, for he had tumbled through the hole as North Wind had told him, and the cover was replaced over his head.
2
0
They were up on the deck of the boat (by the bulwarks). The wind ripped the hatch off the back of the boat (the aft hatch, or after hatch) and it fell into the sea on the downwind side (leeward). Diamond then fell down through the open hatchway. I don't know what they replaced the cover over his head with.
I have no idea, but I would not worry about it at all. It is not necessary to know what that word means to understand what is going on. The hatch of something (a box of something?) blew away.
mayllt