Mei
the difference among these expressions pull it together / pull yourself together hold it together / hold yourself together When I look them up in the dictionaries, the definitions were not that different. So I don't think there is a difference. Do you use them interchangeably or is there any difference? Please could you help me? :)
2
0
With “yourself,” it always means that the speaker thinks the listener is panicking or otherwise losing control of themself. “Pull it together” = “stop panicking and think clearly.” “Hold it together” == “You’re at risk of panicking; don’t panic.” The “it” sentences can be used the same way: when a PERSON is out of control. But the “it” sentences can also be used when a SITUATION is getting out of control. “The company is losing money every month. I’ve got to hold it [the company] together until business improves.” “The advertising department is a mess. We hired Sue to pull it [the advertising deparment] together.”
Mei use of pull or hold depends on content and purpose. Unless I do not know what you want to say, no way to say which one to use.
Mei