Mohammed
about some english synonyn hello there`re some sords in english have the same meaning and the same function and don`t know how to use i mean like : equal ,eqyivalent (what different between them both are nouns so they take the same part of the sentences) also contrary ,contradictory also paradoxicalness and paradox (both n and have the same meaning) please help and thanks in advance :)
Dec 6, 2009 11:27 PM
1
0
Equal and equivalent are about the same. (You could say they're equivalent.) Equal is used when the objects being compared are measurable: "There are equal numbers of apples in these two piles." It is also used when the things being compared are identical: "All citizens have equal rights." Equivalent is better when the things can perform the same function equally well, but may not be identical: "I replaced my Sony TV with an equivalent Panasonic TV." Contrary is can mean argumentative or contumacious: "A contrary child refuses to do what he is told." Contradictory has more to do with discussion: "I made a statement, and he made a contradictory statement." A paradox is an apparently false statement or condition that is nevertheless true. Paradoxicalness (which is a rarely used term) is the nature of that statement or condition that makes it a paradox.
December 7, 2009
Mohammed
Arabic, English, French, German