Hailey
Learn and learn on, how are these different? The context is "learn on the abstract nature of words".
Dec 15, 2009 12:56 PM
3
0
What Mark Kramer said about saying "Learn on!" is true, but I really agree that it would be a bit odd to say this generally. "Learn on" is not a construction I've really heard outside of the "on" denoting the thing you are using to learn. For example... "Languages are easy to learn on the computer." If you wanted to denote ongoing learning, you would just say, "I'm learning English." or for continuing the action into the future, "I'm going to keep/continue learning English." * You could also say, "I'll go on learning... (until I understand/ until there is nothing more to learn/ until I die... etc.)."
December 15, 2009
"On" here refers to an ONgoing action. In an Imperative sentence: Learn on! Which means: keep on learning! Like "Go on!" P.S. I don't think "Learn on!" is something I would be inclined to actually use in practice. It sounds a bit constructed, even though it's grammatically correct.
December 15, 2009
i think: LEarn is just the verb.. which you use when you say that you want to know about something... "i'm going to learn another language". when you use Learn on i think is used when you are learning something... and you go on learning that... i hopa i can help you a bit
December 15, 2009
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean