Gemini
How can I compose an English poem? I mean what is the rule? Thank you so much. I think you like poems, am I right?
Dec 16, 2009 4:37 PM
4
1
Poetry is an interesting form of writing. It is very free, has few restrictions and can be a great way to express feelings. Anyone can write poetry. Just pick up a pen and begin practicing. Begin with an idea or inspiration. Inspiration may come at any time very unexpectedly. It may be a specific person, place or thing that evokes some sort of strong emotion. It may be more of an abstract idea or release of emotion. It may be a tiny thing at the right moment, such as a leaf tossing in the wind a certain way. Think about form and begin to organize thoughts. Poetry comes in many forms, from epic poetry that has a story to dramatic poetry intended to be performed. Try them all out. One will come naturally. Maybe different poems fit different forms. Try free verse, which has basically no restrictions at all. Remember rhythm and meter. There is a difference between the two, and both are equally important in poetry. Meter is the established pattern of the poem, while rhythm refers to the sound when it is spoken. Take both into consideration while writing a poem.
December 16, 2009
How to write a poem continued.... # Use a lot of descriptive words. Create imagery with words, trying to appeal to all the senses in a literal way. Use symbolism, and metaphors. For auditory interest, try alliteration; the repeating of similar sounds in a sentence or phrase. All of this adds life and interest to a poem. Get outside opinions. Don't be afraid to share work with others. Learn to accept criticism and grow from it. This site is very useful http://www.poetryclass.net/kids.htm
December 16, 2009
A poem illustrating the acrostic form by David Mason Anne Lennox Anemones you brought back from the path Nod in a glass beside our rumpled bed. Now you are far away. In the aftermath Even these flowers arouse my sleepy head. Love, when I think of the ready look in your eyes, Erotas that would make these stone walls blush Nerves me to write away the morning's hush. Nadir of longing, and the red anemones Over the lucent rim-my poor designs, X-rated praise I've hidden between these lines. Mason's acrostic poem is centered on a woman. Her name is spelled out in the acrostic "Anne Lennox." An additional characteristic to note in Mason's poem is how each line starts with a letter of her name and surname and refers to "Anne Lennox" in some way.
December 16, 2009
Two examples of Haiku poems by Paul McCann Wild Flowers Lost in the forest . So wild yet so beautiful . So beautifully wild 'Freshly Fallen' by Paul McCann Snow lay on the street . It crunched underneath my feet . Footprints in the snow
December 16, 2009
Gemini
English, Vietnamese