Андрей Andrew
What is 'helter skelter' and 'kilter'? Hi everybody! I liked the song 'Wild Child' of Enya. So I wanted understand it and have found lyrics. (You can see that at: http://www.amalgama-lab.com/songs/e/enya/wild_child.html ) And there is such words: Only take the time from the helter skelter every day you find everything's in kilter Though, there is translation into Russian on the page I mentioned, I wanna more details. 'everything's in kilter' is translated as 'всё в порядке'. But Google translate it as 'все в беспорядке' . It is a quite opposite meaning! And 'helter skelter' is what Google can't translate at all. Tell me the true, please! :)
Dec 19, 2009 6:57 PM
4
0
"Helter-skelter" is an idiom; it means: "very quickly, rushed, in a disorganized manner," like: "On Christmas morning kids usually run down the stairs helter-skelter to get to their presents." It can also mean: "the state of being hectic." Like: "The helter-skelter of modern life." "Kilter" = "In good condition, in working order; proper form."
December 19, 2009
A helter skelter is also a ride at a fairground. It's a long slide which spins you around and down a tower making you go dizzy! Kilter means 'in good condition'.
December 20, 2009
Meaning of kilter - in working order; "out of kilter"; "in good kilter" orderliness, order - a condition of regular or proper arrangement; "he put his desk in order"; "the machine is now in working order"
December 20, 2009
Meanings of helter skelter adv. 1. In disorderly haste; confusedly; pell-mell. 2. Haphazardly. adj. 1. Carelessly hurried and confused. 2. Haphazard. n. Turmoil; confusion.
December 20, 2009
Андрей Andrew
English, Russian, Spanish