Gorana
I've gHow do you pronounce these signs: ъ,ы,ь,ё? I know it's hard to explain but I'm a smart girll :)
Dec 21, 2009 9:49 AM
2
4
Hi Gorana-the-smart-girl! :) Try this: http://paganruss.narod.ru/pronounciation.html Ъ (hard mark) = places a short y sound between a consonant and the following vowel. Thus the difference between сел (sel) = "sat down" and съел (syel) = "ate up." Ь (soft mark) = softens the preceeding consonant. Thus, ть sounds like the t in "Tea," ль like the L in "Lease," and most distinctly, нь is like the Spanish "ñ" in "El Niño." If the soft mark is placed at the end of the word, the consonant is softened to sometning between itself and y, such as шь = the "sh" in "Push." In English transliteration, we indicate it with an apostrophe (') In old folk songs it is frequently extended to become an i, for rhythm's sake, as in this example: Blagoslovi Mati; Oi, Leliu, Lada, Mati; Vesnu zaklikati; Zimu provozhati! ("Bless me, Mother; Oh, Lelia, Lada, Mother! to call the Spring in; bid Winter good-bye.") Ы = very short "i" as in "Lift" Ё = "Yo" at the beginning of a word; as the British Ö in midword.
December 21, 2009
Hi Gorana, Ь – the “soft sign” . This letter doesn't correspond to any particular sound. It is generally used to indicate softness of the preceding consonant. Ъ – the “hard sign”. It indicates that the preceding consonant is hard, despite the "soft " vowel following it and also it effects the way you read the vowels е, ё, ю, я after it. Ё reads like "o" after consonants (but the preceding consonant becomes soft), Ё reads like /йо/ at the beginning of a word, after another vowel or after Ь or Ъ.
December 21, 2009
Gorana
English, Japanese, Serbian, Spanish
Japanese, Spanish