Hisun
Are you aware that "alot' is wrong? Are you aware that "alot' is wrong? "Alot" should be spelled "a lot". It's TWO separate words, not one; not a compound word either. Is this common error anyone else's pet peeve?
9
0
I'm aware, and I have alot of grammar peeves. I think that your not alone. There's alot of people who seem to loose there grammar education as they get older. But, maybe they never really learned it very good. Irregardless, most of the time I could care less. It doesn't really effect me that much. Its really pretty unimportant as long as I can understand what their saying. I usually judge the question or answer based on it's merit. ;-)
Although I'm aware that the proper spelling is "a lot", it's not a pet peeve to me. I have other grammatical pet peeves though: They're, There, Their Your, You're And my grammar is terrible. -___- I haven't actually learned any grammar in school yet.
The use of 'alot' instead of 'a lot', whether written or spoken, causes no inherent difference in meaning (without getting theoretical) other than its violation rules of prescriptive and stylistic grammar. In other words, it is only a violation against standard English. There stands little difference between the two words in most pronunciations except for syllable length or barely pronouncing any vowel before 'lot'. I would not advise any English learner on this site to use the word 'alot' in either writing or speech unless for the purpose of making a point about the standardization of language– i.e., in literary fiction, or unless the learner would like to speak in a more common manner. I am sure that in almost every printed context the word would be labeled unacceptable by a proofreader or copy-editor.
Yes it is my pet peeve!
For sure "alot" isn't a word, but I'm pretty sure that "alright" is legitimate.
Hisun
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese