Hailey
My wingman and a paramedic "A nag is a negative compliment that throws a pretty woman off her game, like "Normally, I'm not turned on by big teeth, but on you, they work." I've got a whole list of them. Who wants to be my wingman? ―"You're not gonna need wingman, you're gonna need a paramedic." I've been watching "Big Bang Theory". What do they mean by "my wingman" and "a paramedic" there? I got the sense Leonard meant Howard will fail to pick a pretty girl up using that kind of opening lines... Right? Thanks!
3
1
The term 'wingman' is a type of social colloquial phrase used amongst friends. If you ask someone to be your wingman you are effectively asking them to assist you in flirting with someone you're interested in. So for example if you were my wingman your role can range from, talking to the guy's friend so that I can talk to the guy I'm interested in alone, making positive comments/compliments about me so that I seem more attractive to the person who's attention I'm trying to get. But basically, the wingman's role is to aid the 'pilot' (that's the person who's trying to pick up a partner) in getting the attention of the male or female. If a women is aiding someone, she can be referred to as a wingwoman :) So in the example you gave, Howard has devised a method he thinks will help him pick up girls better and wants someone to assist but Leonard disagrees, stating that if he uses those lines, rather than needing a wingman he'll need medical attention. It's implied that one of the girls will hit him (not surprising if you consider what his negative compliment entails) hehe. But you got the jist of the conversation so well done :) I love Big Bang Theory too! If there's anything I can clarify for you please feel free to ask me :)
Here a wingman means a friend. If you insult people they may hit you in anger so you may need first aid treatment by a paramedic afterwards.
A wingman is a... buddy. Someone who would support or help you. (A pair of fighter planes, flying together, each acting as the other's "wingman".) But you are not going to need a wingman. You are going to need a paramedic. To treat your wounds. I think someone will be wounded... The sentence means. You don't need assistance in this situation. But maybe afterwards (/later).
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean