Alexander
I have an issue with the "issue". I know that "issue" makes use of like a "problem". Also I heard that it have another meanings. What's the main usage of the "issue"? Thanks you guys for time that you've spent on me! Many thanks to Marie-Hélène. You've made a great deal !
4
2
Hello Alexander - An important question that is in dispute and must be settled; "the issue could be settled by requiring public education for everyone ... - one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waiting room" - topic: some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the topic"; "he had been thinking about the subject for several years"; "it is a matter for the police" - the act of providing an item for general use or for official purposes (usually in quantity); "a new issue of stamps"; "the last issue of penicillin was over a month ago" - supplies (as food or clothing or ammunition) issued by the government - return: the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property; "the average return was about 5%" - publish: prepare and issue for public distribution or sale; "publish a magazine or newspaper" - consequence: a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event" - circulate or distribute or equip with; "issue a new uniform to the children"; "supply blankets for the beds" - offspring: the immediate descendants of a person; "she was the mother of many offspring"; "he died without issue" - bring out an official document (such as a warrant) - emergence: the becoming visible; "not a day's difference between the emergence of the andrenas and the opening of the willow catkins" - come out of; "Water issued from the hole in the wall"; "The words seemed to come out by themselves" - exit: an opening that permits escape or release; "he blocked the way out"; "the canyon had only one issue" - write out: make out and issue; "write out a check"; "cut a ticket"; "Please make the check out to me" Hope you understand better...
Just adding... the word is often used in casual talk as a euphemism for "problem". Instead of saying "he has a problem (with...)", people may use the less-direct "he has issues (with...)". Use in this way is best kept between friends, as such a formal and calm explanation sounds a little comical when one is basically explaining someone's anger: eg. "I saw him throw a chair through a window and kick holes in a wall... I think he has issues."
An issue can be a local current news item or something more important like Global Warming. In the study of literature an issue is the main theme or idea that the author wants his/her readers to reflect on.
The word "issue" is mostly used to mean "to put forth" or "to distribute". Similarly, the word can also be a noun which has been issued (example: an "issue" of a magazine or document). When used like this it can be synonymous to "edition" or "printing". However, the usage you give is a common idiom based on another definition ("a point in question" or "a matter of dispute"). This you hear in phrases like "the legal issues". The specific idiom you are using is to "take issue" which means to disagree or dispute something. For example, "I take issue with his decision" or, in your case, "I have an issue with the word "issue", which means there is something between you and the word "issue" which is unresolved. Hope this is useful to you and helps you understand the issue. :)
Alexander
English, Italian, Russian
English, Italian