hamilton
"precondition" ? I looked it up in Oxford Dictionary; it dedicates "precondition" is used in written English. I am wondering if there is any colloquial words having the similar meaning.
3
0
Consider "A masters degree in business is a precondition for promotion to executive rank." This implies that the degree must be completed before being considered for promotion; you couldn't get promoted simultaneously with getting the degree. You could use "requirement," "prerequisite," or "necessity," but they don't indicate that the degree has to be obtained before being considered for promotion. You could use "trigger" as a colloquial synonym, but that implies immediate promotion upon obtaining the degree, not just becoming a candidate.
I guess the word 'prerequisite' is also like a precondition. I don't think there is a single colloquial word for a pre-condition. We might say 'first you have to do this' or 'first you have to agree to this before...'
Hi Hamilton, this is a dictionary definition of "precondition" Noun- precondition - an assumption on which rests the validity or effect of something else condition, stipulation assumption, premise, premiss - a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn; "on the assumption that he has been injured we can infer that he will not to play" boundary condition - (mathematics) a condition specified for the solution to a set of differential equations provision, proviso - a stipulated condition; "he accepted subject to one provision" 2. precondition - an assumption that is taken for granted given, presumption supposal, supposition, assumption - a hypothesis that is taken for granted; "any society is built upon certain assumptions" 3. precondition - a condition that is a prerequisite prerequisite, requirement - something that is required in advance; "Latin was a prerequisite for admission" Verb- precondition - put into the required condition beforehand gear up, prepare, ready, set, fix, set up - make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill" Nowadays rich people sign "a prenup" which is a set of preconditions before marriage to safeguard a person's wealth and property.
hamilton
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Taiwanese), English, Japanese