Alex
"I ain't afraid of nobody,son" That phrase was written in the book. Would it be an illiterate/vulgar form of posting in my dayly correspondence, when I will write the "ain't" occasionally? ThanksGot it, but I'm asking about a still of writing, as well. I even saw a phrase like "I'm late,aren't I?" which I regard as technically ungrammatical. Nevertheless, is such phrase in the writing would be tantamount as to write ,say,"We're late,aren't we?" ThanksSorry,I meant the style of the writing
4
2
To answer your question, I would not use use "ain't" in written correspondence. Many people use it in the spoken language, but it's not written as much. Even my husband, who will sometimes say it, would probably never write it. It is not considered vulgar, just very colloquial. While it *could* be construed as a lack of education, that's not necessarily the case, since many people from the south use it, educated or not. Some northerners do, too. "I'm late, aren't I?" is correct, since we don't have a negative contraction for "am not". You could also say, "I'm late, am I not?"
The use of ain't is a common colloquialism in UK English, and you will often hear it in a double negative too. In the sentence you have used as an example, the word 'son' also influences the tone, because that word is also used colloquially. It is almost certainly not the person's real son who is being spoken to, but more likely an acquaintance, someone younger (but not always) or someone who they feel is slightly inferior to them. "I ain't afraid of nobody,son" in a polite form is: I am not afraid of anybody, young man.
Ain't is a colloquialism and a contraction originally used for "am not", but also used for "is not", "are not", "has not", or "have not" in the common vernacular. In some dialects it is also used as a contraction of "do not", "does not", and "did not" (e.g. I ain't know that). The word is a perennial issue in English usage. It is a word that is widely used by many people, but its use is commonly considered to be improper.
I ain't means I am not, simply pronounce ain't, the " I " sound is omitted. I hear this word more often in the 70's. But, I don't hear this word lately. In the 70's people might say: ain't got no money, ain't got no job, ain't got no girl friend etc., In the 70's most people were veterans, they got paid for going to school. At that time, schools were very easy, most exams were true false questions or open books.So writting was not important as long as they can read. Your questions is asked for the older days that most people were not incompliance with the grammatical rules when they write. It was acceptable in the past, but I don't think it is acceptable today.
Alex
English, German, Russian