Hailey
"I'll see to it your wishes are carried out." I'm puzzled. I found myself unable to work on it by myself. x_x Is this different from "I'll see your wishes are carried out"? Its syntax is a bit strange to me... because of "to it". What function does "to it" do here?
4
0
Hailey, I'll see your wishes carried out. -"To see" in this sentence means to make sure by supervision. This is an older way of expressing the idea. In this form there is no verb after the object "wishes". The object is usually followed by a past participle or adjective (rarely a subjunctive or infinitive) I'll see that your wishes are carried out. -With the use of a 'that' clause as object the sentence means that you will take care that something is done. Often the clause is a reference to taking care that someone else does something. This is very close in meaning to "see to it". I'll see to it that your wishes are carried out. -Here the sentence means that you will take special care to see "to it" in particular, that it is done. You will take personal responsibility to ensure (that) it is done.
"To see to it" means you're taking the responsibility of making sure something happens. In this case, that wishes are carried out. When you "see to" something, you are actually taking action to make it happen, not lust looking at it.
"To see to something" means "Taking care of," or, in this case "Making sure it will happen." Like: "I will see to your needs." -> I will take care of your needs. In your sentence, you need an 'it' (as object) to bridge the phrase with 'that': "I'll see to it, that..." Theoretically, you could say: "I'll see to your wishes being carried out." But that's very ugly! "I'll see to it, that..." is much, much better, and far more common. "I'll see to it (that) your wishes are carried out." -> I will make sure your wishes are carried out. "To see to" carries the meaning over 'overseeing' the process (hence, has the added meaning of 'making sure it will happen.').
'See to it that...' is a phrasal verb meaning 'to make sure that...'
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean