Julie
what's the difference between "how are you" and "how are you doing"? I'm confused about that.
3
0
In practice, the difference is negligible. I'll give Rokr props, though, for being astute in his observation that, technically, "How are you?" questions the 'are' (= state of being); whereas the 'how' in "How are you doing?" questions the Continuous Tense ('are ... doing'). However, like I said, in reality the difference is as good as absent: "How are you?" "I'm fine!" "How are you doing?" "I'm doing fine!" ("I'm doing GOOD," btw, often means 'the things I do in life, like work, business affairs, are going well.')
how are you?kind of ask people if s(he) is in physical well being? how are you doing?more concerning on how the things is going on with you!
Hi Julie If they are used colloquially as a greeting, then they are the same. The second is a little bit more casual.
Julie
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese
French, Japanese